South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part III

South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part III

Here is our 3rd and final installment of questions we are fielding from the flooding in the Columbia and Charleston, South Carolina.  Hopefully we can help others seeking similar answers with flood insurance claims issues.

Q.  How much drywall damage will my flood insurance pay for?  

A.  Some adjusters will only go up to 2 feet, but most will take it up to 4 feet.  If your emergency service contractor only cuts out 2 feet before your adjuster gets there it is likely he will only write to replace 2 feet because that is what the photographs show. Clarify this with your insurer before starting to tear out your damaged drywall.  

Q.  I have Contents and Personal Property Coverage that was damaged.  What do I need to do?  

A.  Separate damaged from undamaged property and then make a detailed list of your home or business contents including date & place of purchase, model number, serial number (for large appliances), descriptions, original purchase costs (with receipts if possible) and any photos or videos of the home’s interior.  

Q.  Will my mortgage companies name be on the check?  

A.  Yes, if you have a mortgage, their name will be on the dwelling (structure) check as they have a financial interest in the property and therefore will want to see it be repaired.  Be proactive and call your mortgage company to find out their specific procedure as we have found this can be extremely problematic from past experience.  Your mortgage companies name will not be on the check for contents and personal property.  

As always, the professional public insurance adjusters at Tutwiler and Associates are here to help with any property insurance or flood related questions you may have. Please call 800.321.4488 or contact a public adjuster to submit a question to one of our insurance claim experts.

Total: 1 Comments
  Glad to see questions like this being answered. It's so important to have insurance in case of emergencies like floods. Thanks for sharing this!
· Reply · 0 0 0

"On Property" Insurance Claim Tips Blog

Tips and advice about how to properly file and protect your property damage insurance claim and get a fair settlement. We invite all readers to ask questions about their claim so our public adjusters can post answers for others to benefit. Insurance claim expert guest bloggers welcome to submit posts via our contact form.


Local Office

Tutwiler & Associates Public Adjusters, Inc.
Licensed Public Insurance Adjusters & Loss Consultants
Offices: Tampa, Orlando, Palm City, Ft. Myers, Florida; Dallas, TX; Pittsburgh, PA

Executive Office
4300 W. Cypress St.
Suite 780
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: 813.287.8090
Toll Free: 800.321.4488

Licensed in Florida # W840088 &
Texas #1399706 plus 16 other states
and the Virgin Islands