Roof Damage - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs About Roof Damage

Collapse All Expand All
It may depend on what state you reside in and what your local building codes are. In Florida, it certainly sounds like a case can be made for replacement of your entire residential roof tiles and underlayment. Florida building code basically says (and we are paraphrasing here) that if you have 25% or more of your roof damaged within a 12 month period, then the entire roof must be replaced. It sounds like in addition to the tiles, the underlayment needs replacement to stop your leaks and you may need to have the roof sheathing renailed to code. Most residential policies have what is called “Ordinance and Law” coverage to pay for the increased cost of code upgrades.
The impact of hail can loosen and remove the granules on the surface of the shingles. Many times heavy accumulation of granules will appear in your gutters or areas beneath your eave. There are frequently dimples on your shingles that may be round, half-round or crescent shaped indentions. Often there are also dents in the metal components of the roof such as flashing, ridge vents and vent stacks. Most homeowner policies do cover the perils of windstorm and hail to your building. Tutwiler and Associates can help sort out the old and new damage to help you get full benefits under your policy.
This certainly sounds like the type of situation where we can be of service. You will need to make continued efforts to stop your roof leaks by means of additional temporary repairs. Notify your insurance company in writing of the action you are taking to reduce your damages. Take photos before and after to document your roof damage. Not only can Tutwiler and Associates assist in your roof and building loss claim, but we also have business interruption specialists on staff to assist with your loss of rents, and extra expense coverage.
Not likely. In the absence of an insured peril occurring (hurricane, tornado, fire, explosion, hail, collapse, etc) your insurance would likely deny this type of claim. Typically, the normal aging of the roof (“wear and tear”) as well as pre-existing and maintenance type problems are not covered.
One test frequently used is a wind up-lift test that can tell if the roof has separated from its sub surface attachment. Another test is a moisture survey. Both test may be needed and should be coordinated by the professionals at Tutwiler & Associates. We know the team to assemble to get the test completed as well as the type of presentation required to make the argument for a replacement if the facts warrant it. Our years of experience on roof damage claims has been that unless the roof is completely blown off, there will be arguments on the extent of damage. The insurance carrier will also question if the damages now being claimed are old and pre-date the loss.
The most immediate thing you should do, and what your insurance policy requires is for you to mitigate your damages. That means having temporary repairs done to your roof/other building areas to try to stop additional damage from occurring, such as by water intrusion. TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS BEFORE ANY TEMPORARY REPAIRS ARE DONE; YOU MAY NEED THIS FOR EVIDENCE LATER. We can have an experienced adjuster meet with you and inspect your property within 24 hours, or at a time you are able to meet. At that time we can discuss a contractual relationship with you to handle your hurricane claim. The association president will need to be available for signature.

In Florida there is something called the 25% rule which basically is a law and ordinance issue. If it applies to your roof AND you have law and ordinance coverage you should be able to collect for the total replacement of your roof under this coverage as long as you actually do the work. Law and ordinance coverage requires you to incur the cost of the repair and then submit for reimbursement.

I am somewhat concerned that an umpire is ready to sign your award. I hope the appraisal folks took into consideration this important issue and put a line item on the appraisal award form for law and ordinance coverage. If they did, then once you make the replacement, send in the award with the paid invoice to your insurance company and request payment. If they did not, you should notify the insurance company of your claim for law and ordinance coverage.

Finally if you are awarded the full replacement cost of your roof in the appraisal and are paid this amount then you are good to go. Law and ordinance needs to be looked at in all roof claims if that coverage is available and you have over 25 % of your roof damaged.

The bottom line is that if your roof is damaged for more than 25% of its total then the building officials should not give you a permit to repair. Thus you must conform to code by replacing it. The building officials are the law and ordinance people and if you have the coverage (which you should have unless you rejected it or you are covered by a Surplus Lines carrier or Citizens) the company will need to pay you only IF you have completed the work to conform to the building code.