On Property Insurance Claim Tips Blog

South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part I

South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part I

Whenever there is a severe storm like the flooding in the Columbia and Charleston, South Carolina area our inbox gets inundated with questions from policyholders who are entering the insurance claims world for the first time and are seeking answers on how to recover from their damage. Over the next week we’ll publish some of the more popular questions with hopes that we can help others seeking similar answers.

Q.  What does the NFIP flood policy require me to do after I report my claim. 

A.  The flood policy is very strict in that it requires the insured policyholder to file a Proof of Loss within sixty (60) days of the date of the loss.  If not, the claim can be denied.  See FEMA’s Discussion on Proof of Loss to find the proper form.  *Look for Proof of Loss Extensions during severe catastrophic events.  

Q. I have someone who can dry my property out right now.  Should I proceed?  

A.  Yes, you need to take steps to "Mitigate the Damage,” however the dry-out company needs to provide you with a detailed Scope of Work and it should be approved by the adjuster in writing. Also, remember that the duty to mitigate (prevent further damage) is not a duty to fully repair. We find that many policyholders fair better and have more insurance money to use when they restrict the restoration company to drying out and mitigating any further damage while waiting to get proper quotes and work with their insurance company and public adjuster on agreeing on properly repairing the property.

As always, the professional public insurance adjusters at Tutwiler and Associates are here to help with any property insurance or flood related questions you may have. Please call 800.321.4488 or contact a public adjuster to submit a question to one of our insurance claim experts.

Total: 0 Comments