On Property Insurance Claim Tips Blog

South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part II

South Carolina Flooding – Policyholder Questions Part II

Here is our 2nd installment of questions we are fielding from the flooding in the Columbia and Charleston, South Carolina.  Hopefully we can help others seeking similar answers with flood insurance claims issues.

Q.  My lower cabinets were damaged by the flood waters.  Does my flood insurance pay to match them and pay for my upper cabinets? 

A.  No.  Flood policies are very restrictive and only pay for building items that were directly impacted by water.  If the lower cabinets were damaged that is what they will pay for. 

Q.  The wood floors in my house were under water.  Will flood insurance pay?  

A.  If the wood floors are cupped or buckling, they may pay to replace them less the depreciation.  But if they are not bucking they may only pay to sand and refinish the floors.  Consult with the original installer or a flooring expert if this becomes and issue. 

Q.  I have heard that carpet is considered as contents and not part of the building.  Is this true? 

A.  Yes, as strange as this sounds, carpet is considered contents and will be covered under that part of your policy.

As always, the professional public insurance adjusters at Tutwiler and Associates are here to help with any property insurance or flood related questions you may have. Please call 800.321.4488 or contact a public adjuster to submit a question to one of our insurance claim experts.

Total: 0 Comments